What is Couscous?
Couscous is the easiest dish I have ever made. Seriously.
On a more factual note, couscous is a simple pasta made from semolina flour and water and gently rubbing between the hands to form the tiny grains. Staple dish in some Northern African countries.
Couscous is such a great pantry addition. Its so fast and easy to make and is basically a blank canvas for flavors and spices. As I came home from work the other day, I wanted to make something fast and bursting with flavor. What in my pantry/frig moment?? Boneless leg of lamb, leftover kale, avocado and couscous. Perfect, I can make a Moroccan spiced lamb and couscous dinner! So simple and full of exciting spices. This meal took less than 30 minutes to make. Hi Rachel Ray!
Ingredients for Lamb kebabs
- 1 pound boneless leg of lamb, cut into 1 inch cubes (can use beef if that’s what you have or prefer)
- 1 teaspoon of: cumin, coriander, turmeric, paprika, garlic powder, cinnamon, nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- kebab sticks soaked in water for 30 mins prior
- canola oil spray for the grill
Ingredients for Couscous
- 1 cup instant couscous
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup very hot water (or chicken or vegetable stock for extra flavor)
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- grilled kale leaves, cut into 1 inch pieces, recipe below
- 1 avocado, diced into small cubes
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- cilantro for garnish
Directions for Lamb Kebabs: Combine the spice ingredients in medium bowl to blend. Add lamb; toss to coat evenly. Let stand 5 minutes. Thread lamb on skewers.
Grill 3-4 minutes on each side.
Directions for Couscous: In a large bowl, combine the couscous and olive oil. Add the very hot water, cover with plastic wrap and let it stand for 8-10 minutes. Uncover add cumin, salt and pepper and fluff with a fork.
Add kale, avocado and lime and gently mix ingredients. Remove lamb from the skewers and place on couscous, garnish with yogurt sauce and cilantro.
Grilled Kale: Combine kale leaves with olive oil, splash of lemon juice (optional), salt and pepper. Grill on medium heat until the leaves get a little crisp, few minutes.
Yogurt Sauce: Combine 1 cup plain yogurt, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 2 cloves minced garlic, salt and pepper, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves.